Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Getting It Straight

Getting It Straight
I'm going to take a break from my copyright stamping to discuss my latest poetry post, The Veteran, a tribute to my father and all veterans of honest wars. When I speak of honest wars I'm making a distinction between fighting for our survival as we did in World War Two against the Nazis, who threatened the whole planet, and that last war in the Middle East, which I call Halliburton's War of Acquisition. (It's a damn shame if any of my music was used to boost the morale of pilots as they bombed innocent civilians and I'm sure God will punish this offense.) I normally let my readers take their own message from my poems, but since these works of mine have been in other hands up to now, some clearing up of their meaning may now be necessary.

The first verse talks about the age of soldiers. They are usually young. My father was only in his teens when he went overseas. The second verse attempts to depict a combat soldier's job with realism. Chewed up flesh might look good in movies but in real life it is most unpleasant to behold. Combat is an ugly job. The drowning land was the land of the Scheldt Estuary, which was flooded by the Germans to slow the Canadian advance. Many of our troops succumbed to disease from this tactic. The third verse is based on a real account. Imagine being pinned down on a bloody field thousands of miles from home, seeing your friends get shot and waiting for a bullet to come crashing through your head. Horrible. I tried to end the poem on a positive note in the fourth verse, but I felt it necessary to add one more verse to explain that great things can happen all the time in the absence of TV cameras. In fact, TV cameras often point to events of only passing significance while great things are happening elsewhere. By capturing those heavily defended V-2 launch sites in the Low Countries, the Canadian Army saved countless lives of Londoners. Maybe one of those Gerry rockets would have fallen on Mick Jagger's house and killed him in his crib if it weren't for men like my father. It's something of which we Canadians can always be proud.

On a slightly different note, I've heard of being unrecognized and unappreciated for an achievement, but it took my online experience to teach me about being insulted for doing something good. When such insults extend to the achievements of my dying father, I know that banks and corporations are behind them. Banks and corporations think we are worthless pawns on a vast playing field which they own. They do not hesitate to start wars unnecessarily when it can boost their profits. They are dismissive of our sacrifices and suffering, thinking of us as lower life forms for lacking fabulous wealth. For these reasons they are incapable of writing popular material of their own and must stoop to stealing it from the internet from hapless individuals like myself who do not even want to be stars. They are cold blooded reptiles, as their treatment of me and my father should now sufficiently prove.
  
More Statements Scripts Songs
© 2013. Statements by David Skerkowski. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment